‘English for Academic Purposes’ means the English you need to succeed at a university. At SSC , the Academic that is‘English Language Skills’ helps you can get better grades in your academic essays and examinations.
The English for Academic Purposes course trains you in:
- understanding written academic text
- writing academic essays
- Giving presentations that are academic
- getting involved in academic discussion.
Academic English presentation at Scotland Study Centre
These skills are necessary if you want to succeed in your academic career.
English for Academic Purposes: a approach that is non-traditional
On traditional courses, you learn in the way that is traditional.
A‘Body’, and a ‘Conclusion’ for example, you have probably learned that, when writing an academic essay, you need an‘Introduction’. But this sort of basic structure can be useful as a doctor telling you that a‘ is had by you head’, a ‘Body’, and ‘Feet’. Easily put, it is useless.
At SSC you actually discover ways to structure essays that are academic. You learn by:
- using a much more detailed structure that teaches you what you need to put into each part of your essay.
- analysing example essays to comprehend how they are structured and just how language can be used in them.
- redrafting essays with your teacher in class.
- learning, as you analyse and essays that are redraft your teacher, a number of basic techniques/tricks which make essay writing much easier and more effective.
The techniques you learn on the ‘English Academic Language and Skills’ course enable you to:
- write essays
- read academic texts
- give academic presentations.
A knowledge of the same structure can also be useful for you personally if you have to read through academic texts and when you must structure academic presentations.